Solihull Tennis Club was formed by Ida Bayliss in 1921 at “Broomfields” as an addition to the Solihull Cricket Club (formed in 1856). For some years he Tennis section had no pavilion and when it rained the players sheltered under a large oak tree – there being no room in the 60 year old cricket shed, which was only just big enough for the cricketers and the horse(!).
In 1937 a new combined Cricket and Tennis pavilion was bought at a cost of £140, then being erected and painted by the members.
When the club was disbanded in 1950 (the Solihull United Charities/Solihull School wanting the land) the Tennis members had the use of private courts owned by Lady Bird and Mr. Fellows for about a year. Cricket and Tennis then moved to playing fields/courts at Damson Lane (Elmdon Park) found for them by the Council, although playing conditions for both sections were deplorable. In 1954 the club moved to its present location at Marsh Lane – on farm land acquired by then-President William Wright. The seven acres of freehold land were a gift from Mr. & Mrs. Bill Tippetts of Solihull. At that point it is believed that there were 70 members of the Cricket and Tennis sections combined, with 22 Tennis members (who paid no subscriptions!). Here three courts were put down and, captained by Sidney Mann, the foundations were laid of the flourishing club that it is today. Although the land today would be worth a considerable sum of money, if the Cricket and Tennis club ever decided to leave and sell the land, it must be sold back to the original owners for about £100.
In 1956 or 1957 three more courts were added and the club, under the leadership of Don Reynolds, advanced in both the Mens and Ladies Sections of the Birmingham League, having A and B teams in both sections.
In 1966 a new Pavilion replaced the old green hut, with both water and electricity supplies being laid. In 1972 the Club’s first Open Mixed American tournament was held.
In 1987 the first floodlights were installed for 2 of the courts, following a lengthy battle for planning permission., with the floodlights being replaced, and a third court floodlit in 2013.
In 1996 three of the hard courts were replaced with an all-weather astro-turf surface; the other three had courts were replaced with astro-turf in 2006.
We currently have 8 Men’s teams, 3 Ladies’ Teams and 3 Mixed Teams playing in a variety of leagues throughout the year.
Solihull Cricket & Tennis Club
see our Directions page for a map
If you have any questions or would like more information please contact us:
If you have any problems using this website, please contact Webmaster
Or use our Contact Us page.